Today is my partner’s birthday, so I felt it was the perfect time to share a few things that you can do to make a gamer’s special day an extra special day.
1. Get creative with your baking
This cake is not a lie. Why have a regular birthday cake when you could have an awesome cake like this? This is a great example of what you can achieve when you think outside the *ahem* cube. There’s plenty more game-inspired cakes here.
2. Find some geeky gifts
- New games. If they have any newly released games on their wish list, that will always get you massive brownie points (but try to first check that they haven’t gone and bought/pre-ordered it themselves in the excitement of it all!)
- Razer – Gaming gear. The proper stuff. My BF loves Razer gear, possibly because it makes him feel like he’s one of the pros. I had previously bought him a fancy-pants mechanical keyboard.
- J!NX – Very cool officially licensed video game apparel. They have LoL, Diablo, WoW and more.
- Random novelty gifts. There are also those handy sites like ThinkGeek that have a nice range of stuff to choose from. I mean, everybody could do with a lightsaber umbrella, right?
3. Try for something a little more crafty
4. Don’t forget to factor in some gaming time
This is actually an important one to note. Being the ridiculously sweet and thoughtful partners that we are, we may be tempted to pack their birthday full of all kinds of surprises. Now, I’m not saying that this is a bad thing (really, my kudos go to all those amazing Partners of Gamers out there), but frankly, just setting aside some time for them to game is a gift with a high return-on-investment. They get to spend some time relaxing, while partaking in one of their favourite hobbies, with his friends, WITH YOUR BLESSING. You have a happy partner, you get some time to yourself too and it has cost you nothing. As I type this post, my partner is happily gaming away.
Anywho.. good luck, have fun, and be sure to share any stories or tips that you may have!
p.s. Shout out to my gorgeous Birthday Boy <3
EDIT: In hindsight, there are probably way too many puns in this post #sorrynotsorry